honestly speaking, an advanced meditator tries to practice meditation all day along and he is always watchful of his thoughts, emotions and actions. so for such a meditator who practice meditation 24 hours, there is no good or bad time… time does not make a difference to him, as he is witnessing every thing that is happening in his life. such a meditator is slowly moving towards non-duality. this question is only for those meditators who wants to choose a best time for practicing their meditation session. at the beginner stage it is quite helpful to choose the correct meditation time.
so what is the best time for meditation:
1. the best time of the day for meditation is the early morning hours. that is between 3 to 6 am. this time is called as brahmamuhurt in india. it is one of the best time for doing any kind of spiritual practice. reason being, people are fast asleep, so there is less disturbance at thoughts level in the ether. secondly, the energy of whole existence is rising and energy is fresh and pure and your energy is also fresh as you are charged up with a good night sleep. so you can ride on all these positive factors to go deep in meditation. best is to start your meditation after taking a bath.
2. if you can not get up early in the morning, then the next best time will be whenever you wake up in the morning. because if you start your day with a meditation then it will set the tone of your day and you will have a positive start. there are many meditation techniques which are done when you just wake up and don’t even open your eyes. always get up from your bed with a relaxed energy and also meditatively. when you wake up then don’t immediately start doing your daily activity. instead be aware of your breathing, thoughts and bodily sensation for some time.
3. if you can not get up early morning and can not practice meditation when you get up, then the next best time could be the sunset or when you are going to sleep. it is very important to meditate before one goes to sleep as it totally changes the quality of the sleep and your sleep will be more deeper and peaceful.
4. if above 3 points are not practically possible for you then choose a time when you are absolutely free and no one is going to disturb you and you are fresh and not tired.
whatever time you choose for meditation, always remember:
1. give your total energy to the meditation. don’t do it half-heartedly.
2. be sincere in your meditation and do it regularly without any break.
3. don’t expect any results. all results are mind oriented and meditation is a state of no-mind.
4. over a period of time, bring your meditative energy to your daily actions. make meditation a part of your life.