swami vivekananda was totally against superstitions or anything which makes you weak or fearful. his talks are full of courage and taking charge of your life.
according to him anything which makes you weak is evil and anything which makes you and your soul strong is good. the ultimate source of fearlessness is to realize your true nature or to be in touch with your inner voice or soul.
never do anything which makes you weak. when you are in fear then your aura (second body) shrinks and you actually become weak and vulnerable in that moment. but when you don’t fear then your aura remain intact and you work from your total strength.
so have faith in god and in your good karmas. do what is right in any situation. remember, your soul is indestructible and nobody can harm your soul.
swami vivekananda quotes on fear and fearlessness:
1.“the earth is enjoyed by heroes”—this is the unfailing truth. be a hero. always say, “i have no fear.”
2. be a hero. always say, “i have no fear.” tell this to everyone—“have no fear.”
3. if there is one word that you find coming out like a bomb from the upanishads, bursting like a bombshell upon masses of ignorance, it is the word “fearlessness.”
4. fear is death, fear is sin, fear is hell, fear is unrighteousness, fear is wrong life. all the negative thoughts and ideas that are in the world have proceeded from this evil spirit of fear.
5. the greatest sin is to think that you are weak. no one is greater: realize that you are brahman (realized soul). nothing has power except what you give it.
6. there is only one sin. that is weakness…. the only saint is that soul that never weakens, faces everything, and determines to die game.
7. as long as we believe ourselves to be even the least different from god, fear remains with us; but when we know ourselves to be the one, fear goes; of what can we be afraid?
8. whatever you think, that you will be. If you think yourselves weak, weak you will be; if you think yourselves strong, strong you will be.
9. be brave! be strong! be fearless! once you have taken up the spiritual life, fight as long as there is any life in you. even though you know you are going to be killed, fight till you “are killed.” don’t die of fright. die fighting. don’t go down till you are knocked down.
10. the whole secret of existence is to have no fear. never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. only the moment you reject all help are you free.
11. be not afraid, for all great power throughout the history of humanity has been with the people. from out of their ranks have come all the greatest geniuses of the world, and history can only repeat itself. be not afraid of anything. you will do marvelous work.
12. the weak, the fearful, the ignorant will never reach the atman. you cannot undo what you have done; the effect must come. face it, but be careful never to do the same thing again. give up the burden of all deeds to god. give all, both good and bad. god helps those who do not help themselves.
13. the moment you fear, you are nobody. it is fear that is the great cause of misery in the world. it is fear that is the greatest of all superstitions. it is the fear that is the cause of our woes, and it is fearlessness that brings heaven in a moment.
14. why are people so afraid? the answer is that they have made themselves helpless and dependent on others. we are so lazy, we do not want to do anything ourselves. we want a personal god, a savior or a prophet to do everything for us.
15. they alone live whose lives are in the whole universe. the more we concentrate our lives in limited things, the faster we go towards death. those moments alone we live when our lives are in the universe, in others; and living this little life is death, simply death, and that is why the fear of death comes.
16. my child, what i want is muscles of iron and nerves of steel, inside which dwells a mind of the same material as that of which the thunderbolt is made.
17. the mind is but the subtle part of the body. you must retain great strength in your mind and words.