everybody wants to have a sharp mind. because if you can think clearly and intelligently, then you can live a much better life. you can find solutions to your problems easily.
intelligence is a blessing. specially true for current time when there are so many options in the world and you don’t know what is right for you. otherwise advertisements can fool you to buy things which you don’t need. you might spend time in collecting things which are not needed.
so if you want to live a better life then spend some time and energy on making your mind sharp and alert.
10 ways to keep your mind sharp and alert:
1. meditation – one of the best way to keep your mind sharp is meditation. it not only increases your intelligence but also gives clarity to you. meditation sharpens the intellect and also makes you master of your mind. consider spending 30 minutes to one hour everyday on meditation.
2. doing one thing at a time – don’t try to do multi-tasking. do only one thing at a time. when you do multitasking then your mind gets confused at times. when you pay your total attention on doing one task at a time then your mind works at its optimum.
3. don’t add unnecessary information to your mind – only gather that information which is useful for you. e.g. stop reading any news in the newspaper. be selective of the TV and cinema you watch. be selective of the friendship you keep. because any unnecessary information adds clutter to your mind.
4. keep on learning – the more you use your mind the more smart it becomes. but it does not mean that you dump any sort of information in your head. as i said before you have to be selective about what information goes in your mind. at the same time, keep on adding skills in your life. try to befriend people from different walks of life like engg, doctor, lawyer, musician, sportsmen etc. because all this stimulates different brain centers. so doing different sort of things like learning a new language or reading a useful book or developing a new hobby or learning a musical instrument helps.
5. healthy surrounding and lifestyle – try to live a harmonious life which is in tune with your energies. don’t take your body and mind for granted by going for late night parties or drinking too much alcohol. remember all these unhealthy habits take a toll on your physical health and mental well being.
a) keep your surrounding and house uncluttered. if your surrounding is uncluttered then it will help to bring order and clarity inside your mind also.
b) you cannot think clearly in a dingy or claustrophobic room. good ventilation, sunlight and fresh air helps the mind to think clearly. so make sure you get enough oxygen. if not, then do plant trees around your workplace and in your home.
c) it also helps to do some physical exercise like yoga, pranayam, jogging or brisk walking for a healthy mind.
6. good night sleep – its very important to have a deep and restful sleep in the night. if you don’t sleep deeply then your mind will not get its much needed rest. the mind which is tired or sleepy cannot think clearly. for a optimum functioning of mind, good night sleep is must.
7. don’t think too much – too much thinking, worry and tension are not good for your mental health. remember, every thought in your mind takes some attention and energy. if you want to have a clear mind then there should be minimum thoughts going on in your mind. so think less, feel more. instead of thinking, listen to your inner voice.
8. brahmi medicine – its an ayurvedic medicine which not only reduces tension but also increases mental alertness, memory and good for the mind. walnuts or soaked almonds are also good for mental well being
9. tea – a good cup of tea is always welcome. it not only refreshes your mind but also makes you more alert. that was the purpose behind the origin of tea also. for more info, read about zen master bodhidharma tea story.
10. satvic and healthy food – the body and mind are related with each other. the kind of food you eat has a big impact on your mental efficiency. e.g. eating tamasic food will make you lethargic. eat food which does not excite your mind. one should not overeat as over eating will make you feel sleepy. satvic food is best for mental alertness. also make sure that you eat a healthy diet. include lots of fruits, salads and green leafy vegetables in your diet. drink lot of water. all this makes a big difference in your physical and mental well being.
so eat healthy food, get a good night sleep, think less meditate more and keep on learning good things to make your mind sharp and alert.