multitasking is quite common in life. we all do this at times. like talking on phone as well as watching a cricket match. or driving car while talking on phone.
the life has become so hectic that we often do multitasking in life. but is it good for your mental well being and work productivity ?. lets find out.
why multitasking in life is not a good practice:
1. mind is not good in multitasking – our mind is efficient in doing one task at a time. while doing multitasking it has to shift its attention from one job to another quickly. which adds pressure to the mind and tires it quickly. as per scientific studies it is not good for your mental well being. only try multitasking for simpler and easier tasks which do not put much pressure on your mind.
2. you cannot be total in you work – although we think it is efficient to do multitasking but you end up achieving second grade work. because you cannot give your total attention to the task. it leads to loss of efficiency and quality in work. you cannot produce your best work while doing multitasking.
3. you will miss details – there are more chances that you will end up losing finer details. there will be less chances that your work is without flaws and mistakes. it also leads to loss of concentration, forgetfulness and loss of memory. over a period of time, you will feel difficulty in focusing on things. because you have perfected the habit of switching your attention between different tasks. elder people should avoid multitasking completely.
4. leads to stress – the habit of multitasking tires the mind and put pressure and strain on it. it leads to stressful living. doing one thing at a time makes the life simpler and easier. multitasking is complicating the matter. better to do fewer things but do them nicely and lovingly. we are not robots who are suppose to be efficient. we are human who should love their work and should be creative. from a religious point of you, you cannot be mindful of the task while doing multitasking.
5. no joy of doing things – when you give your totality to one task then there is a joy in doing it. you feel good when you give your 100 percent to one task. on the other hand, you cannot enjoy doing many things at a time.
what is the solution for multitasking:
1. if you are in the habit of multitasking then avoid doing it. only try with simpler and easier things which does not put strain on your mind. like you are cooking food and side by side listening music. or you are cycling or jogging and listening to music side by side. because all this does not put much pressure on your mind. reason being one activity is manual or robotic (walking, jogging) and does not need much attention from your mind.
on other hand, talking to someone on phone and typing your email will put pressure on your mind. because both the activities need your mind.
2. its advisable to include meditation in your life. as meditation helps in mental well being. it helps to release stress and make you relax.
3. another very good suggestion is to give priority to your task. do the highest priority task first. that way you can do one thing at a time as per its priority.
4. simplify your life – let go of few tasks which are not important. start enjoying your work. do one thing at a time but give your totality to it.
Nils Salzgeber says
Very cool stuff!
I’ve looked at multitasking from a more scientific and productivity standpoint. Interesting to see more of a spiritual standpoint here.
And of course I couldn’t agree more with you that multitasking is a downright terrible idea.
Anyway, keep up the good work,