one of the key aspect of all meditation technique is to find your inner center. when you are centered within, then mind is no longer there, but you are there. inner centering is a state of no-mind or no-thoughts.
when you are totally centered within, then you become witness to everything going around you. you don’t become identified with the thinking or with your emotions. in fact thinking slows down or is not there at all. because now you are not feeding the thoughts with your energy by getting identified. witnessing is a state of detached watcher.
how to find your inner center:
1. practice witnessing as often as you can in your day to day life. be a witness to your thoughts, emotions and bodily actions like eating, walking, listening, talking etc. if you slow down in life then it will help you a lot. because it will be much easier for you to witness. in fact when you go deep in meditation then you automatically slow down in life. your action and your speech becomes more graceful.
2. stillness – another way you can indicate at inner center is stillness. when your energy within is totally still then also you are in no-mind state. when you are totally still then again you are there but mind is not controlling you. you have become the master of your mind for sometime. stillness is the key. gautam buddha had once said that if you can be without thoughts (no-mind state) for even 48 minutes then you will attain to nirvana (enlightenment). so in your day time practice stillness. let no situation or emotion is able to disturb you or agitate you. if something like that happen then suddenly STOP. go within and witness the situation as a detached watcher. don’t miss the moment and use it for your meditation. remember, after 10 years this incident will not matter to you. but if you use this moment for meditation then it will be a stepping stone in your sadhana. so remain calm and balanced through out the day.
3. god gifted moments of no-mind
the state of no-mind happens to all of us. i would say these are god gifts to us so that we start searching him or so that we start the inward journey. the state of no-mind can happen on any unexpected situation like you are watching a sunset or you watch a rainbow or any other beautiful moment or the smile of a small child or any sudden good news. when this happen then again your mind is not there. if it happens then be in that state for as long as you can. savor the moment, let it fill every core of your being. mind has the tendency to forget these moment as soon as possible. but remember these moments again and again. because these moments are your openings to divine. but these divine moments come unexpectedly and you cannot force them. so when it happens next time then be in that state of no-mind and don’t start using your mind immediately or starting doing your everyday work.
4. develop a meditation space in your house
it will help the meditation energy to accumulate in your home. thus there are more chances of having no-mind experiences.
5. focus on gap between two thoughts
for beginners in meditation it is suggested to witness the thoughts. but with time you will start seeing the gaps between two thoughts. this gap is the real thing. witness this space between two thoughts.
don’t take life very seriously. be more relaxed and letting go type. meditation is relaxed awareness. if you can relax your body and mind totally then you have almost reached there.
7. supportive lifestyle for witnessing
your lifestyle should support meditation. which means stay in a house (or preferably city) which is close to nature. there is not too much noise in the ethers. by etheric noise, i mean the thoughts of human beings plus the noise of vehicles and other sounds. choose a job which is not very taxing on your mental energy. be creative at your home and in your job. choose the job which you love. have friends who are interested in meditation or in spirituality. read books of spiritual masters. you know all this contribute to create meditation space around you. in short, do everything which supports meditation.
8. make meditation the top priority in your life
you must be having many priorities in your life. but the one priority which is your top priority will always gets your maximum energy and attention. since you are giving maximum energy to that priority you will grow in that field. so if you want to go deep in meditation then make meditation the top most priority in your life and rest all will follow. you become, what you think. so think towards meditation. when you start practicing meditation then be a witness to all thoughts including the “thought of practicing meditation”